David’s central interest is in working with other people, organisations and social networks, locally and globally, to promote the development of 21st Century communities which are both sustainable (that is, living in harmony with our planet) and include everyone as equal citizens.
Using the Centre for Inclusive Futures as a vehicle, this contribution typically involves creating inclusive spaces for reflection on contemporary challenges and supporting action designed to make a positive difference.
For example, current work includes:
- Helping civil society networks and their partners in local government advance sustainability and social justice - in line with Goal 11 of the global Sustainable Development Goals - so as to create Cities for All.
- Supporting UK efforts to advance Article 19 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, focused on living included in the community, through consulting to the national Gr8 Support Movement.
- Working with advocacy networks, particularly in Latin America, as they seek to improve disability equality through implementing Article 24 of the UNCRPD, focused on inclusive education.
David is best known for his leadership role in the King’s Fund An Ordinary Life initiative which helped to transform thinking about the opportunities and support available to people with intellectual disabilities and prefigured Valuing People. In addition to 20 years at the King’s Fund, he has worked at a number of centres which seek to bridge ideas and practice in achieving social change, including the Tavistock Institute of Human Relations, the Nuffield Institute for Health (Leeds) and the School for Advanced Urban Studies (Bristol).
David has produced 5 books and more than 120 articles, all the most recent published on this website. HIs MA and PhD are from the University of Cambridge.
- Conversations on Inclusive Communities
- Advancing Inclusive Education
- Six Practices for Creative Engagement
- UN Convention
- Creating Stronger Communities
- Reconnecting Hearts and Minds
- Resilience Imperative
- Deinstitutionalisation & CommunityLiving
- University of The Third Age
- The Promise of An Ordinary Life
- Education For A Better Tomorrow
- Teachers as Leaders
- Building Community
- Institution Watch
- Networking for Social Change
- Civic Partnership
- The Frugal Innovator
- Leading from the Emerging Future
- Raising Our Game
- Leading the Inclusive City
- Conflict Transformation Through School
- This Changes Everything
- Inclusive Citizenship in Colombia
- Liderando la Ciudad Inclusiva
- Educación Para Un Mañana Mejor
- Transition Towns
- Insights from ABCD
- Camden and Co-production
- Pathfinders Review 2
- The Right to Community Living
- Cities for a Small Continent
- Racisms: From Crusades to 20th Century
- Advancing Inclusive Education
- Yes We Can
- No Is Not Enough
- Siete Claves para la Educación Inclusiva
- Educación para una Sociedad Inclusiva
- Promoviendo la educación inclusiva
- Trabajar en Red Para el Cambio Social
- Cities for All - Ciudades Para Todos
- Families As Leaders
- Cities for All
- The Systems View of Life
- Advancing Inclusive Schooling