Petition: human rights for disabled people
Please support this important petition to stand up for our human rights.
The petition states:
There are over 10 million people with disabilities in Britain. They are our brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, children, friends. Some have visible disabilities some do not. They are in the fight of their lives. Many are hurting, hit by cuts and a punishing assessment system. Often they feel marginalised and humiliated. The UN talks of a “human catastrophe”.The Equality and Human Rights Commission says disabled people are second-class citizens: "It is a badge of shame on our society and successive governments that this has happened."
The proposed actions are to:
- Appoint a full-time, cabinet level Secretary of State for Care and Disability
- Develop a strategy that is more than just about getting the disabled to work
- Conduct a proper impact assessment of Brexit
- Take the discredited benefit assessment out of private hands
- Address the crisis in commissioned care
- Encourage innovation including community-based care models such as Shared Lives, L’Arche and Camphill
Sign the petition at: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/appoint-a-cabinet-minister-for-the-disabled